The Looky-Loos

When the Rose is Faded

Sunday, December 7, 2008

 

I don't have any strange dreams to report today. Sometimes, when I recall my dreams multiple days in a row, I feel like my brain is trying to heal itself from some trauma. Then again ... it could just be because I had a glass of wine before I went to sleep.

I don't recall if I had posted a blurb about how my brother scared the living daylights out of me when I was housesitting. I accidentally returned the favor to my sister-in-law (his wife) by stopping by my parents house today on my way to work. I felt really bad about this ... but it all worked out ... as she wanted another person's opinion on something she'd purchased for my mother for her birthday. Hee ... still ... I suppose she knows how it feels now.

On the note of my brother scaring me to death, I figured it has to be because I live by myself in a one bedroom apt. I also usually don't wear anything to sleep. Therefor, I'm sure it was racing through my head, who is that? Why are they here? Where am I? Am I wearing anything? He he he.

Moving along to the rest of the post.


ஜ~§Quote of the Day§~ஜ


I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned.

Lord Byron

ஜ~§The Question Of The Day§~ஜ


Today is known to some as the Day of Infamy, in commemoration of what happened at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. In your lifetime, what date sticks out as the most memorable in terms of world events?


ஜ~§The Word Of The Day§~ஜ


Hornswoggle

PRONUNCIATION: (HORN-swog-uhl) verb
MEANING: tr.: To cheat, hoax, or deceive someone.
ETYMOLOGY: Of unknown origin.
USAGE: "Now, however, some special interests are out to hornswoggle residents, and they're stooping low to do it."


ஜ~§What I'm Reading§~ஜ


Last few pages of The Pagan Stone. I'll review it tomorrow.


ஜ~§What I'm Watching§~ஜ


Tonight is: Family Guy and True Blood


ஜ~§Poem Of The Day§~ஜ


When the Rose is Faded

WHEN the rose is faded,
Memory may still dwell on
Her beauty shadowed,
And the sweet smell gone.

That vanishing loveliness,
That burdening breath,
No bond of life hath then,
Nor grief of death.

'Tis the immortal thought
Whose passion still
Makes the changing
The unchangeable.

Oh, thus thy beauty,
Loveliest on earth to me,
Dark with no sorrow, shines
And burns, with thee.

Walter De La Mare



ஜ~§Recipe of the Day§~ஜ


Chicken and Shrimp Jambalaya

Ingredients:
1 cup sliced celery
1 large onion, chopped
1 14-1/2-ounce can low-sodium tomatoes, cut-up
1 14-1/2-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 of a 6-ounce can (1/3 cup) tomato paste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1-1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning or 1 recipe homemade Cajun seasoning (see recipe below)
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves or thighs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
1-1/2 cups instant rice
8 ounces cooked, peeled, deveined shrimp
3/4 cup chopped green sweet pepper

Directions:
1. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart crockery cooker combine celery, onion, undrained tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and Cajun seasoning. Stir in chicken.

2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Stir in rice, shrimp, and sweet pepper. Cover and let stand 10 to 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Makes 6 servings.

Homemade Cajun Seasoning: In a small bowl combine 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.


Brightest Blessings,
~S~


0 Things people say ...: