The Looky-Loos

Solitude

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

 

I’m feeling much better today. I’m super sore though, I really feel like I’ve been run over several times by a Mac truck. I don’t really have any new news. I’m planning on resting the next two days … since I have them off. I suspect by Thursday when I go back to work, I’ll be 100% WOOT!!! I hope you enjoy everything else here today.



ஜ~§Quote of the Day§~ஜ


The sun, the moon and the stars would have disappeared long ago... had they happened to be within the reach of predatory human hands.
Henry Ellis


ஜ~§The Question Of The Day§~ஜ


What fictional high school—from tv, film, or a book—would you most like to attend? Or would you rather never go near high school again, fictional or otherwise?


ஜ~§The Word Of The Day§~ஜ


Autonomous [au·ton·o·mous] adj. 1. Independent in mind or judgment; self-directed. 2. Not controlled by others or by outside forces; independent: "an autonomous judiciary."



ஜ~§What I'm Reading§~ஜ


Nora Roberts, Sacred Sins and Skousen, The 5,000 Year Leap


ஜ~§What I'm Watching§~ஜ


Tonight is: 90210, Fringe and Leverage.


ஜ~§Poem Of The Day§~ஜ


Solitude


Sitting in my room alone
Wrapped warmly in a quilt
Cold wind blowing outside my window
Feeling not a pang of guilt
For needing solitude

There is a certain feel of comfort
With a loved one so close by
But that feeling is not near enough
When unable to see eye to eye
And needing solitude

Our dreams were quickly shattered
Hopes of a future are no more
Time we spent mere memories
Grieving felt to the very core
And needing solitude

Solitude for peace of mind
Time alone to heal
We lost so much in so little time
But our friendship remains strong & real
Now & in our solitude.

Rebecca Parker



ஜ~§Recipe of the Day§~ஜ


Fish Cakes with Coleslaw and Horseradish-Dill Sauce.





Ingredients:
2 large lemons
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup chopped green onions, divided
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
4 slices white sandwich bread, torn into pieces
8 ounces mahi-mahi, cut into 8 strips
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 8-ounce bag coleslaw mix
2 tablespoons olive oil

Preparation:
Grate enough lemon peel to measure 2 1/2 teaspoons. Halve lemons; squeeze enough juice to measure 1/4 cup. Mix peel, 2 tablespoons juice, mayonnaise, 1/4 cup green onion, relish, horseradish, and 2 tablespoons dill in bowl; set sauce aside.

Grind bread to fine crumbs in processor. Place 1 cup breadcrumbs in medium bowl. Place remaining breadcrumbs in 13x9-inch baking dish. Using on/off turns, very coarsely chop fish in processor (do not form paste). Add fish to breadcrumbs in bowl; gently mix in egg, 1 tablespoon sauce, and 1/4 cup green onion. Shape fish mixture into four 31/2-inch-round cakes; thickly coat with breadcrumbs in baking dish.

Toss coleslaw mix, 3 tablespoons sauce, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon dill in bowl. Season with salt and pepper.

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add fish cakes; sauté until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Serve fish cakes with slaw and sauce.


Brightest Blessings,
~S~



3 Things people say ...:

Evanesco said...

I would of rather graduated from Hogwarts. :)
Feel better!

Anonymous said...

Glad you're feeling better Sister Sweet (as we both have Sweet in our names! :)
I can't believe you post a recipe for real food. When I'm sick I go for soup and jello.
Rest well.
~KimSue Cheeks~

Tess Kincaid said...

Thank you so much! I'm very honored, indeed!

Love the Whitman. Perfect choice for this week.