The Looky-Loos

A Thing of Beauty (Endymion)

Thursday, May 7, 2009

 

Well guys, I'm back. It was a pretty rough vacation, but I'm back to blogger and I'm back to work. I want to extend my appreciation for all of your kind words and condolences. It was all very touching.

I (for obvious reasons) didn't get nearly as much done during my time off as I would have liked. However, my balcony is all cleaned off and, other than getting new seat cushions, is ready to use for the spring, summer and fall. I still need to get planting though! In addition, I also got my Kitchen and Bathroom vanity area somewhat squared away. Now, if I could just figure out what on earth I'm going to do with all my books and clothes and non-working electronics, I'd be a happy camper!

Today is the day that I 'officially' started my 6 Week body make-over. I took a 35 minute walk this morning. (it's supposed to be 45 minutes to an hour, but I was walking to fast, I need to figure out a good speed OR add to my route.) And I'm planning on doing my strength exercises on Sunday and Monday (I have Tues and Wed off, so I figured if I was sore, I could rest more on those days and recover). I'm really pleased that I took the time to really understand the program before I started it. It took me 35 minutes to pack up my lunch! Heh. Also, I have an online buddy whose friend went through the program and she has maintained since, so that's a plus!

(Oh ... and I'm full, all day long, I can hardly eat another bite, but I have another meal scheduled in about an hour, can you bloody believe that?)

That's pretty much all my news, lemme see if I have a funny ....



I do!!!

SOUTHERN CHARM

Two informally dressed ladies happened to start up a conversation during an endless wait in the LAX airport.

The first lady was an arrogant California woman married to a wealthy man.

The second was a well mannered elderly woman from the South.
When the conversation centered on whether they had any children, the California woman started by saying, "When my first child was born, my husband built a beautiful mansion for me."

The lady from the South commented, "Well, isn't that precious?"

The first woman continued, "When my second child was born, my husband bought me a beautiful Mercedes-Benz..

Again, the lady from the South commented, "Well, isn't that precious?"

The first woman continued boasting, "Then, when my third child was born, my husband bought me this exquisite diamond bracelet.

Yet again, the Southern lady commented, "Well, isn't that precious?"

The first woman then asked her companion, "What did your husband buy for you when you had your first child?"

"My husband sent me to charm school," declared the Southern lady.

"Charm school?" the first woman cried, "Oh, my God! What on earth for?"

The Southern lady responded, "Well for example, instead of saying "Who gives a shit?" I learned to say, "Well, isn't that precious."

....SOUTHERN CHARM.




ஜ~§Quote of the Day§~ஜ


A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman's birthday but never remembers her age.
Robert Frost



ஜ~§The Question Of The Day§~ஜ


If you could live in any era of history, which one would you choose?

I would choose to live in the 30's and 40's ... Oooh what I wouldn't give to be a pin-up girl!!! (giggles)



ஜ~§The Word Of The Day§~ஜ


Xanthodontous

PRONUNCIATION:
(zan-tho-DON-tuhs)

MEANING:
adjective: Having yellow teeth.

ETYMOLOGY:
From Greek xanthos (yellow) + -odon (toothed).

USAGE:
"That I am becoming, or have become, xanthodontous cannot be of interest to anybody."



ஜ~§What I'm Reading§~ஜ


The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)


ஜ~§What I'm Watching§~ஜ


Tonight is: A big TV night with Ugly Betty, Smallville, Grey's Anatomy, Supernatural and Hell's Kitchen. (and wouldn't ya know it, I'll have to watch HK on HULU b/c it's on opposite two other shows!)


ஜ~§Poem Of The Day§~ஜ


A Thing of Beauty (Endymion)

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its lovliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness; but still will keep
A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing.
Therefore, on every morrow, are we wreathing
A flowery band to bind us to the earth,
Spite of despondence, of the inhuman dearth
Of noble natures, of the gloomy days,
Of all the unhealthy and o'er-darkn'd ways
Made for our searching: yes, in spite of all,
Some shape of beauty moves away the pall
From our dark spirits. Such the sun, the moon,
Trees old and young, sprouting a shady boon
For simple sheep; and such are daffodils
With the green world they live in; and clear rills
That for themselves a cooling covert make
'Gainst the hot season; the mid-forest brake,
Rich with a sprinkling of fair musk-rose blooms:
And such too is the grandeur of the dooms
We have imagined for the mighty dead;
An endless fountain of immortal drink,
Pouring unto us from the heaven's brink.

John Keats



ஜ~§Recipe of the Day§~ஜ


Smoked Salmon, Dill and Goat Cheese Quiche





Ingredients:
1 recipe pie dough (see Pâte Brisée recipe)
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 medium shallots, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
4 ounces smoked salmon, chopped
4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
3 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup cream
2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preparation:
1 Roll out dough into a 12-inch circle. Place it into a 10-by-1 1/2-inch round tart pan (with or without a removable bottom), pressing dough into corners. Place in freezer to chill for 30 minutes.

2 Preheat oven to 350°. Line pastry with aluminum foil or parchment paper, pressing into the corners and edges. Fill at least two-thirds with baking weights - dried beans, rice, or ceramic or metal pie weights. Bake first for 15 minutes, remove from oven and let cool a few minutes. Carefully remove aluminum foil or parchment paper and weights. Poke the bottom of the pie pan with the tongs of a fork (fork holes are for any air to escape) and return to oven. Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until just lightly golden. Place on a wire rack to cool while making filling.

3 Heat oil in a small skillet on medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until translucent, a couple minutes, remove from heat. Whisk eggs in a medium bowl, whisk in milk, cream, dill, lemon zest, and black pepper.

4 Line the bottom of the quiche crust with cooked shallots. Put one layer down of half the smoked salmon and goat cheese. Pour half of the egg/milk/cream mixture over the salmon and goat cheese in the quiche shell. Layer down the remaining salmon and goat cheese, and pour the remaining egg/milk/cream mixture over it. Transfer to oven. Bake at 350°F until just set in the center, about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving.

Serves 6

Brightest Blessings,
~Surry~


7 Things people say ...:

Lacey said...

Good luck with the 6 week thing. I've missed you!

Heather said...

Glad you're back!! You were definitely missed. Keep us posted on that 6 week body makeover. If it works, I might have to give it a go.
That little funny with hilarious. Gotta love the southern charm. :)
And if I could live in any era, it would definitely be the 60s to early 70s. AWESOME MUSIC. Would have loved to see some of my favorite bands live.

Corrinne said...

I love the recipe of the day! I work with Chavrie goat cheese (the pyramid-shaped cheese) and i love a good quiche! Thanks for the post!

~Thought's By Dena~/ JDs Gift Shack said...

great post...and wish you the very best on your 6 week work out!!!

Hoeech said...

Either lengthen your route or start jogging it. Chop, chop...let's go! :)

The 30s and 40s? Really? The depression; World War II; segregation laws; expected lifespan of 52 and no rights for women. Sounds charming.

You could be a pin-up girl in any era, SweetPea. You don't have to fantasize about it.

SweetPeaSurry said...

Awww thanks guys it's good to be back!

Hoeech ... you're making me blush!!!

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

So glad to see you back. YOu seem to be feeling a tad better...Take care.