The Looky-Loos

How I Love Thee? Let Me Count The Ways

Saturday, February 14, 2009

 

Crap, I have a HUGE rant saved on my computer at home, I could have sworn I emailed it to myself.

In anycase, it's V-Day ... NO not the day we stormed Normandy Beach ... but ... Valentines lovey dovey hovey day!!! I LOVE EVERYONE!!! Until tomorrow, in which case I'll just rant at everyone.

Stay cool Peeps!!!

here's a loverly VALENTINE FOR YE!!!





On with the RESTAMUNDO!!!



ஜ~§Quote of the Day§~ஜ


A hug is like a boomerang - you get it back right away.
Bil Keane

ஜ~§The Question Of The Day§~ஜ


Valentine's Day: love it or hate it?

ஜ~§The Word Of The Day§~ஜ


Prophylactic

PRONUNCIATION:
(pro.phy.lac.tic)

MEANING:
adj:
1: preventing or guarding from disease
2: PROTECTIVE, PREVENTIVE
noun:
1: something (as a drug or device) that protects from
disease

ETYMOLOGY:
None today

USAGE:
Seriously, if you don't know the usage of this by now ... you NEVER will!!!

Love ya'll! (BTW I use exclaimation points like profylactics!!!, I think I'm safe.)


ஜ~§What I'm Reading§~ஜ


Nora Roberts: Jewels of the Sun

ஜ~§What I'm Watching§~ஜ


Tonight is: TV Catch-up, or something like that, more like Surry gets lushy night! Last night I watched Ghost Whisperer and TSCC, but that's all I got to. Good thing I have a catch-up night! YAY

ஜ~§Poem Of The Day§~ஜ


Sonnet 43 - How do I love thee? Let me count the ways
XLIII

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints,—I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life!—and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning


ஜ~§Recipe of the Day§~ஜ


From Epicurious

Almond Cakes with Chocolate Passion-Fruit Sauce






Ingredients:
For cakes:
4 ounces almond paste (not marzipan)
1/2 cup sugar
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
3 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Confectioners' sugar for dusting

For chocolate passion-fruit sauce:
5 ounces good-quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup passion fruit juice, such as Loóza Passion Fruit Nectar


Special equipment: 6 (1/2-cup) ramekins, food processor, stand mixer with paddle attachment

Preparation:
Make cakes:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour ramekins.

In food processor, process almond paste and sugar until mixture resembles fine sand, 10 to 15 seconds. Transfer to bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, then add butter and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down bowl as necessary, about 1 minute. Add vanilla and beat until incorporated, about 30 seconds.

In small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Sift over almond paste mixture, then mix until incorporated, about 30 seconds.

Divide batter among prepared ramekins, smoothing tops. Transfer to baking sheet and bake until cakes are golden brown and springy to touch, about 30 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool while making sauce. (Cakes can be baked ahead, removed from ramekins, and frozen, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, up to 1 week. Allow 4 hours for cakes to thaw at room temperature. To rewarm, place on parchment-paper-lined baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 10 minutes.)

Make sauce:
Transfer chopped chocolate to small bowl.

In small saucepan over moderate heat, stir together cream and passion fruit juice. Bring to boil, then pour over chocolate and let stand 30 seconds. Using heat-proof silicone spatula, stir until smooth, about 30 seconds. Cover with plastic wrap and keep warm.

To serve:
Pour about 2 tablespoons sauce into center of each plate.

Run small, thin knife around inner edge of 1 ramekin, then invert onto palm of hand and, using other palm, smack bottom of ramekin to release cake. Transfer cake to rack and sift confectioners' sugar over, then transfer to prepared plate. Unmold remaining cakes in same manner. Serve immediately.

Brightest Blessings,
~Surry~


7 Things people say ...:

Sassy Britches said...

Yay for boomerang hugs and a poem everybody knows all the first line of but of which I've never read the rest!

♥ Kathy said...

LMAO @ the prophylactic usage!! :-D Happy love day ♥

SUSAN SONNEN said...

What a cute cake!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Mariah said...

Happy V day!! Tat cake looks yum!! Is the book good? I just bought about 20 Nora Roberts books at a garage sale for like ten cents each.

SweetPeaSurry said...

Sassy, boomerang hugs totally RAWK!! Yeah!@

Kathy, I just couldn't resist it. Honestly ... I go to the same site for the word of the day every time, and I happened to click on a link for the 'archives' OMG it was FATE!

Susan, I'm not much of a baker or a sweet eater, so if you make up this cake, lemme know how it turns out.

Mariah, I am a FIEND about NR's books. Not only have I read Jewel's of the sun before, I also have the full version on disc. I'm an odd duck that way!!!

david mcmahon said...

Thanks for the generous comment on my blog today. Glad to have you aboard.

The almond cakes look fabulous.

And speaking of Normandy, it was my very great pleasure to be able to piece together (but by bit, from around the world) the story of an RAF pilot who died in Normandy the day Paris was liberated.

Never thought a 21st century journalist would be able to unravel such an amazing story - but that's just the way it happened.

Cheers

David

Vodka Mom said...

happy happy v- day.