The Looky-Loos

On the Grasshopper and Cricket

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

 

I'm back in my own place, done moving from place to place for a while. I took a 2 hour nap today, it was heaven being back in familiar surroundings (not that my Mother's house isn't familiar, but you know what I mean) and in my own bed.

My mother's dog is a riot. I usually get up about 9:30 in the morning. (Unless I was up late late late the night before). I let her out in the morning, and then by about 10:30 in the morning she's ready for her 'nap' and goes into her 'box' (crate). It's like clockwork ... she's such a funny little dog.

Today is my Friday ... YAY!!! Two glorious days off, and back in my own place. I have a LOT of TV to catch up on. I didn't have my spreadsheet available to me at my mom's so I completely forgot what was on and at what times. I'll play catch-up tomorrow and Thursday.

That's all the news, on to the rest!!!
ஜ~§Quote of the Day§~ஜ

Punishment is now unfashionable, because it creates moral distinctions among men, which, to the democratic mind, are odious. We prefer a meaningless collective guilt to a meaningful individual responsibility. Thomas Szasz

ஜ~§The Question Of The Day§~ஜ

Field mice always sleep facing northwest. Kangaroos can't walk backwards. Female hyenas have penises. Let's face it, nature is weird. What's the strangest thing you know about the animal kingdom?

ஜ~§The Word Of The Day§~ஜ

Intrepid
PRONUNCIATION: [in·trep·id] adj.
MEANING: 1. Resolutely courageous; fearless. Persistent in the pursuit of something.
ETYMOLOGY: 1627 (implied in intrepidness), from L. intrepidus "unshaken, undaunted," from in- "not" + trepidus "alarmed."
USAGE: "They were a team of intrepid explorers."


ஜ~§What I'm Reading§~ஜ



Nora Roberts: The Pagan Stone

Synopsis: Shared nightmares, visions of blood and fire, and random violence plague the longtime friends andQuinn, Layla, and Cybil, the women bound to them by Fate. None of them can ignore the fact that, this year, the demon has grown stronger -- feeding off the terror it creates. But now the three pieces of the bloodstone have been fused back together. If only they could figure out how to use it.

A gambling man like Gage has no trouble betting on his crew to find a way. And though he and Cybil share the gift of seeing the future, that's all they have in common. Were they to take their flirtation to the next level, it would be on their own terms, not because Fate decreed it. but Gage knows that a woman like Cybil -- with her brains and strength and devastating beauty -- can only bring him luck. Whether it's good or bad has yet to be determined -- and could mean the difference between absolute destruction or an end to the nightmare for Hawkins Hollow.

I'm actually nearly done with this book and I'll be moving onto a new one shortly. I'm looking forward to the 'Final Battle'. I'll write a bit of a review on the series once it's completed.

ஜ~§What I'm Watching§~ஜ

Fringe, NCIS, 90210 and Eli Stone

ஜ~§Poem Of The Day§~ஜ

On the Grasshopper and Cricket

THE poetry of earth is never dead:
When all the birds are faint with the hot sun,
And hide in cooling trees, a voice will run
From hedge to hedge about the new-mown mead;
That is the Grasshopper's--he takes the lead
In summer luxury,--he has never done
With his delights; for when tired out with fun
He rests at ease beneath some pleasant weed.
The poetry of earth is ceasing never:
On a lone winter evening, when the frost
Has wrought a silence, from the stove there shrills
The Cricket's song, in warmth increasing ever,
And seems to one in drowsiness half lost,
The Grasshopper's among some grassy hills. (1816)

John Keats



ஜ~§Recipe of the Day§~ஜ



Easy Italian Chicken



Ingredients:
1/2 of a medium head cabbage, cut into wedges (about 12 ounces)
1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
1 4 1/2-ounce jar (drained weight) sliced mushrooms, drained
2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
2 to 2 1/2 pounds meaty chicken pieces (breast halves, thighs, and drumsticks), skinned
2 cups purchased meatless spaghetti sauce
Grated Parmesan cheese
Hot cooked pasta (optional)

Directions:
1. In a 3-1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine cabbage wedges, onion, and mushrooms. Sprinkle tapioca over vegetables. Place chicken pieces on vegetables. Pour spaghetti sauce over chicken.

2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3-1/2 hours. Transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. If desired, serve with hot cooked pasta.

Brightest Blessings,
~S~




1 Things people say ...:

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love funny little dogs! :)